posted Dec 31, 2016, 2:39 PM by North Bethesda Ski Club
First Ski Club Trip On For This Friday, January 6, 2017!
Welcome to ski season! Please re-read the Ski Club Information Packet
(click here to download
) to answer most, if not all of your questions. This e-mail provides some reminders, but does not cover everything. If you have a question not covered in the packet, please e-mail email@example.com
. We will try to answer within 24 hours.
Want to ski sooner? Your Night Club Card is valid every night after 4pm (3pm Sundays) starting January 2nd through the end of the season. Take advantage!
What's Up with Bus Assignments?
Bus assignments are posted outside the NBMS cafeteria. We will not be posting them online or e-mailing them out to protect student names. If not already known, please have your student get their bus number this week. We will also have them at Morning Equipment Drop-Off and Afternoon Bus Loading. Sorry, no bus changes.
The Skinny on Friday Morning Equipment Drop-Off
Friday morning between 7:15am - 8:15am (sharp) in the lower parking lot by the tennis courts, we will be accepting bags and ski equipment for storage. Be sure to put your student's name and home/cell phone number on every bag, coat, helmet, and piece of ski equipment - even if you are not putting into storage.
All bags dropped off on Friday morning will be tagged with a colored tag before being put into the storage POD. When you or your student hands your bags to the volunteer, clearly state the bus number and color. (If you don't know it, they will look it up). The bag will be tagged for the season, allowing us to more quickly load/unload in future weeks. Please cut off last year's tags before Friday.
- Bus 1 (grade 8) - YELLOW
- Bus 2 (grade 8/7) - RED
- Bus 3 (grade 7) - BLUE
- Bus 4 (grade 7) - GREEN
- Bus 5 (grade 6/7) - ORANGE
- Bus 6 (grade 6) - WHITE
Please drive slowly and follow the directions of the volunteers. Do not get out of your car or park - just keep moving. Students may bring their ski bags/equipment on the school bus in the morning and drop it off over by the tennis courts too. However, ski club morning equipment drop-off is not a valid excuse to be tardy.
If MCPS has delayed opening, Morning Equipment Drop-Off is delayed as well.
Being Ready to Ski/Board this Friday...
Temps are predicted to be in the 20's. (Click here for weather
). Be sure to have your student bring appropriate cold-weather gear.
It is always colder there than in Bethesda, so don't let the temps here fool you. Some suggestions:
- Appropriate winter/ski clothing - including helmet, heavy coat, gloves, ski goggles, and face mask or bandana (especially if it is windy).
- A plan for before-school drop-off of equipment/bags.
- A plan for after-school food/drink.
- A plan for dinner money while skiing. Click here to learn about loading money on your student's Night Club Card.
- A parent-student conversation about decision-making. See below.
- A plan to pick-up your student between 11:05-11:15pm on Friday night. Arrive early for best parking - but don't park in the bus alley. And don't be late.
- Hopefully not necessary, but your availability to drive up to Liberty or a hospital in case of medical emergency so that you can drive your student home.
As a reminder, if schools are closed or close early, no ski club.
Lessons are Awesome!
If your student's Night Club Card comes with Lessons, they are at 5:45pm or 7:00pm. Instructors will be punching their lift tickets with the Liberty Mountain logo to prove they took a lesson. This allows you to have proof if you need it with the punched ticket. We highly encourage lessons, especially for beginners. Perhaps you can create an incentive for your child to take lessons? We highly encourage them!
25 NB Parents will be serving as chaperones for 315 NB students. Responsibilities for chaperones and students are clearly outlined in the information packet. Your student is responsible for his/her behavior and safety. Chaperones serve as guides, not supervisors, throughout the trip - especially once at Liberty Mountain. Please have a discussion with your child about smart decision-making, for everyone's sake. Safety is our #1 priority - make sure it's your child's as well. Thanks!
Ten Decisions Made Every Week by NBMS Ski Club Participants
1. Do I rent skis or a snowboard tonight?
2. Do I take lessons tonight? If yes, at what time?
3. What lifts and runs will I try tonight?
4. Will I use the terrain park tonight?
5. With whom will I ski/board, and what is their ability compared to mine?
6. If my friends want to ski/board on a run that I'm not familiar, what will I do?
7. If I get separated from my friends while on the mountain, what will I do?
8. Will I ski in control or unsafely?
9. Will I drink high-caffeine energy drinks?
10. How will I behave on the bus, in the lodge, and on the mountain?
Night Club Cards and Helmets
If your student did not pick up his/her Night Club Card or helmet, we will hand it to them on Friday. If your student forgets his/her Night Club Card, they will have to get in an extra line on Friday that will take at least half an hour. If your student forgets his/her Helmet, they don't ski/board. They can rent one for $12.50, but must pay for it with their own cash. We do not recommend forgetting either.
Not Riding Home on Bus?
If your student is not riding home on the bus from Liberty, your student must provide a written note to his/her Bus' Lead Chaperone. Absolutely no verbal or email confirmations. Thank you for your cooperation.
And remind your student.... HAVE FUN! :)Ski Club Leadership Team
North Bethesda Middle School PTO