posted Jan 16, 2016, 1:30 PM by North Bethesda Ski Club
Second Ski Club Trip is Friday, January 15, 2016!
Thank you for sending you NB student on the first 2016 Ski Club trip. It was quite a successful and fun night, with every student participating safely. As we prepare for the second trip, please review these quick reminders. If you have a question, please e-mail email@example.com
. We will try to answer within 24 hours.
Safety Rules for Parents
While your students were perfect, we had a few minor rules violations by parents. Here are a few reminders:
- Drive safely at morning drop-off. At least one car fish-tailed out of the parking lot, and a few others drove a little too fast. An extra few seconds saved is not worth risking the life of a student or parent volunteer. Thanks.
- Signed note is required if student not taking bus home. We do this out of an abundance of caution, as we take our head counts seriously. Thanks.
- Pick-up is from 11:05-11:15pm. At least half a dozen students were picked up between 11:20-11:40. We won't leave them alone, so please be on time so the parent volunteers can get home to bed too. Thanks.
Safety Rules for Students
Safety is our #1 priority - make sure it's your child's as well. Just because they were perfect last week doesn't mean they'll remember to be the same this week. Review this list with your student before Friday. Beginners especially need to be reminded that one week of lessons does not equal blue square and black diamond runs, despite what their best friend says. :)
Ten Decisions Made Every Week by NBMS Ski Club Participants
1. Do I rent skis or a snowboard tonight?
2. Do I take lessons tonight? If yes, at what time?
3. What lifts and runs will I try tonight?
4. Will I use the terrain park tonight?
5. With whom will I ski/board, and what is their ability compared to mine?
6. If my friends want to ski/board on a run that I'm not familiar, what will I do?
7. If I get separated from my friends while on the mountain, what will I do?
8. Will I ski in control or unsafely?
9. Will I drink high-caffeine energy drinks?
10. How will I behave on the bus, in the lodge, and on the mountain?
Friday Morning Equipment Drop-Off
It will go MUCH faster this week, since most if not all bags have been tagged. Be sure to put your student's name and home/cell phone number on every bag, coat, helmet, and piece of ski equipment - even if you are not putting into storage. Our lost and found was quite extensive this week, and most items were not labeled. If you're missing something, send us an e-mail and/or contact Liberty Mountain Guest Services.
Be sure to have your student bring appropriate cold-weather gear for the weather in Carroll Valley, PA. It is always colder there than in Bethesda, so don't let the temps here fool you. Some suggestions:
- Appropriate winter/ski clothing - including helmet, coat, gloves, ski goggles, and face mask or bandana.
- A plan for before-school drop-off of equipment/bags.
- A plan for after-school food/drink.
- A plan for dinner money while skiing. Click here to learn about loading money on your student's Night Club Card.
- A parent-student conversation about decision-making. See below.
- A plan to pick-up your student at 11:05-11:15pm on Friday night.
- Hopefully not necessary, but your availability to drive up to Liberty or a hospital in case of medical emergency so that you can drive your student home.
As a reminder, if schools are closed or close early, no ski club.
Lessons are Awesome!
If your student's Night Club Card comes with Lessons, they are at 5:45pm or 7:00pm. Instructors will be punching their lift tickets with the Liberty Mountain logo to prove they took a lesson. This allows you to have proof if you need it with the punched ticket. We highly encourage lessons, especially for beginners. Perhaps you can create an incentive for your child to take lessons? We highly encourage them!
And remind your student.... HAVE FUN! :)Ski Club Leadership Team
North Bethesda Middle School PTO